Top 10 Reasons to Shop Local
1. Support for Nonprofits—Local businesses support good work in our community. “Studies show that nonprofits receive 250 percent more support from small businesses than large ones,” explains Sue Lynn Sasser, PhD, professor of economics at the University of Central Oklahoma. Because small business owners are part of the community, many feel that it is important to give back to the community and support several different local charities.
2. Create a vibrant community – Small businesses create a unique place for people to spend time and enjoy themselves as opposed to chain stores that can be found everywhere across America.
3. Develop a relationship with your shopkeeper – If you like shopping in a place where the owners/employees know your name, try small business. The more you interact with particular people the more likely they will learn your tastes and be able to recommend other items that you will enjoy.
4. Keep money local – When spent in a local shop, approximately 65-70% of the money will stay in the community for various reasons. In big box stores, only about 30-35% of the money spent continues onward in the community.
5. Try before you buy – Many small shops will allow you to try a sample of an item before you but it!
6. Diversity in Product – Many small businesses will specialize in hard to find items that generally aren’t found in a big-box retailer.
7. Employment –As a whole, small business employs more people than any other corporation. Further, those employees will go on to spend money in the community in which they live.
8. Product knowledge – Owners are very passionate about their business and will know about the products on their shelves. If you have specific questions that you need answers, a smaller shop is your best bet!
9. Investment in the Community – Because owners usually live in the community that they work, most small business owners have a commitment to make the community a great place to live and work. Many volunteer in different for different causes to invest in the welfare of their town.
10. You matter! – Locally owned businesses genuinely care about the customers that walk through the door and strive to give each person a good experience. Vote with your wallet! Spend your money in a small shop and keep local business thriving!